Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 11th Homework

I think it is important for students to post their work to their blogs because it holds them accountable. It gives them an outlet to showcase their work and leave behind a footprint they can be proud of. I think by posting to their blog, they are going to present their best work. This is a way for us to coach our children through school and open them up to feedback from a world far bigger than the classroom.

I found this video on YouTube and loved the statement that blogs place students in charge of their own learning and where their learning will go. Listen how one students asked a question on her blog, got the response "good question" and her response to that response. It has made me more conscientious of the responses I leave.




This video shows how high school students use blogging in their classroom.




This video I found while looking for people to add to my PLN. Rachel Boyd seems very passionate about teaching, as I hope to be.




The overall message I get from these videos is to open doors for our students and let them roam. They are already living in a digital world. As teachers we must move into the digital world if we have not done so already. If not, we may be teaching, but we are not educating our students.

Comment4Kids
This week I posted on the post Answers for Ms. F and the Digikids

3 comments:

  1. "Open the door and let them roam."

    Amen and amen! That is what we as teachers need to do: open the door for our students to learn. Blogs and other technologies open that door in a way that so many other things cannot do! Well spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS! I was not familiar with any of these. I have added all 3 to my Schools of Tomorrow and the Tech Literate Teacher"

    All 3 will be assignments next semester. More work for an overworked group of students. Maybe I will have to cut something out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you for the most part about how the kids should post their works online, but holding them accountable to ANYTHING at that age is a little risky. I mean, do they even understand what accountability means at that age?

    ReplyDelete