Friday, February 26, 2010

February 28 Homework

This is How We Dream Parts 1 & 2




After watching the movies This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2, I think that children and young adults are already producing multimedia. It may not be necessarily what we want them to produce, but it will be easier to transition them to producing multimedia for academic purposes than trying to get my generation to transition. My generation is the in-between generation. When I was young, we did not have the same technological opportunities that the next generation has had. People of my generation are, for the most part, unwilling or have no desire to learn about all the technology available to us. I think as the next generation grows up, goes to college, and enters the job force, this will not be a conversation we will be having. Instead, it will be about a new technology that their children will have grown up with that they do not have now. To answer your question about whether or not I am ready to write with multimedia, at this point I would have to say I am not comfortable with it, but I am willing to try. I have stepped so far out of my comfort zone so far in this class, what's one more step.


The Networked Student



I liked how this video was done. Very simple but very effective. To teach a networked student, you must be a networked teacher. You can not expect the student to learn what you can not teach them. In the video, the speaker says that the teacher is the one who teaches him to take advantage of learning opportunities. For that to happen, the teacher has to take advantage of teaching opportunities. I hope to be that teacher. To answer the question "Am I Ready" to teach a networked student, I don't know if you can ever be ready. It will always be a work in progress.


Michael Wesch



I really enjoyed watching this video. I loved the history of whatever. I thought it was funny how even the Defense Department found the need to brief the soldiers returning home on its meaning. I liked what he had to say about YouTube. I have personally never put any video of myself on YouTube. For me, I think it is fear of seeing myself as others see me. I have a picture in my mind of how I appear to others and I don't want that image changed. I think it is also an issue of self confidence. I have seen some of those ugly comments, and I do not want those comments made to or about me for me to have to see. Some people are fine with posting videos online. My 9 year old daughter is one of them. I think it does give some people self satisfaction and makes them feel famous because people could potentially see them online. I am not saying I will never post a video of myself on the internet, because 6 months ago I would have said I would never write a blog. Stay tuned. We will see.


Comments4Kids

For my Comments4Kids assignment this week, I post on Ethan's blog post. He made some great arguments for every student to have a laptop, even mentioning how much paper that could save.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea including the videos in your posts! If I had no idea about what you were talking about, I could simply click and watch and not have to hunt down the video you are discussing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have stepped so far out of my comfort zone so far in this class, what's one more step." Just keep on walking, or running or ...!

    I hope to get Ms. Drexler as a Skype visitor later this semester.

    ReplyDelete