Friday, February 12, 2010

February 14 Homework

Classroom with desk
I was really surprised to see how many companies have changed or embellished information on Wikipedia. I use Wikipedia often and, for the most part, was trusting of the site. I don't know how trusted a source it can be with the current policy of letting anyone update or change information. Of course, you will have people like myself who will trust the site completely because they do not know people or businesses are changing information for there own self promoting reasons. I will still use Wikipedia(it is very convenient), but will verify information, especially if it is for something I will be putting my name on.
Mr. McClung's post was very insightful. What a great first year to have learned so many career lessons. I think as education students, we all have certain ideas of what we expect our future classroom or school to be like. I think it would be interesting to revisit those ideas after actually being in our own classroom for a year or two. It is always easier to say what one would or wouldn't do before they have had to deal with that situation.
This week, I commented on Payton's blog for our Comment4Kids assignment. He likes baseball and I related him to my son who also loves baseball.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dina! I totally agree with you about Wikipedia. I don't really use it much and I had no idea that just anyone could update it. Its crazy because if no one would have told me i would have probably trusted it when using it too and never even know how unreliable it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dina! I used to use Wikipedia often until my instructors started counting off for it. Now I understand why. I think that using it to get ideas for information, like you said, is a good idea. If the facts check out, Wikipedia could be a good tool for getting new ideas for a paper or discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Wikipedia all the time. I am just cautious with living persons/entities/corporations. Generally, Wikipedia is an excellent, quick resource. You just have to keep your eyes open and your brain on. EVERYONE has a slant they are trying to sell you. Even me. So question everything!

    Mr. McClung is a great friend. We will probably have a Skype session with him this semester to see how Year 2 is continuing. Your idea to compare notes from time to time is an excellent one. I call it being a "reflective practitioner."

    ReplyDelete