Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 28 Homework

Monster computer chasing professor

I agree with Morgan Bayda's post. Most professors either do not know about or are unwilling to adapt to the ever changing technology that students use daily. A lecture class can be very boring when you have the world at your fingertips at home. As a returning student after a 15 year absence from a classroom, I can honestly say that college has not changed much over the last 15 years, which really surprised me. I assumed that new technology would be embraced by the university, but instead the university seems almost scared of it. I think we still need the university, but the university must meet students where they learn...through technology.

Comments4Kids
This week I posted a comment on Kimball H.'s blog post "People should read two hours a day". I do read for two hours a day, but I wish it were more pleasure reading and less school reading.

3 comments:

  1. It's really surprising to hear that college hasn't changed much after 15 years... This reminds me of a certain Mr. Winkle who slept for 100 years...

    I can fully relate to your "reading for pleasure vs. reading for school" debate. I always feel lazy when I have to answer questions about what I've read recently "that wasn't required."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the Mr. Needleman of college education. You and a lot of others in EDM310 and in Canada, and in Kansas and in ....

    I read 6 hours a day! Newspapers, blogs, even a book now and then. But I am growing fond of Audible books. They make my commute SO much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure that if teachers are unwilling to adapt to the technology or they just don't know how. Many of the current teachers didn't get the opportunity to take a class like this one.

    ReplyDelete