Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 24 Homework

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
I think students today learn differently today than students did 20 years ago. I know this because I was a student 20 years ago. People starting college today grew up with the 'world at their fingertips' literally. They have not known a world without cell phones or internet. Cell phones and internet are great learning tools. These tools need to be integrated into the classroom as much as possible. I think so much more is expected of students today than 20 years ago. Students today are required to do so much more work. Most of that work is computer work; blog, threaded discussions, Powerpoint presentations, ect. EDM310 would not have even been a requirement 20 years ago. To this video, I would add a video made 20 years ago with college students and compare it with today's students.

It's Not about the Technology by Kelly Hines
I agree with Kelly. Teachers need to be learners, especially in this day of advancing technology. You can not be an effective teacher unless you can connect to your children. If you can not connect with your students, you can not teach them. If you have to learn new teaching methods, how to use a smartboard, anything that will improve your students learning, you should be willing to do it. People today going into the teaching profession grew up with ever changing technology and the need to learn it. They had to. I think we will begin to see a wider gap in teachers who are willing to learn and teachers who are not through test scores and overall effectiveness in the classroom.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I agree with this post and several of the comments. What is the definition of technologically illiterate? I think at this time, it depends on who you are around. If you are the one called on when someone has a computer question, you are the literate one. Even if it is something very easy to figure out(at least to you). It just goes to show, we are not all on the same page yet. Until we are all willing or have the means to learn about technology, we will have technologically illiterate people. I think the reading/writing analogy was great. Looking back at the beginning of the 20th century, students had to leave school at an early age to help out on the farm or work to help their parents out. There was more illiteracy. Once students had more opportunities to stay in school, you had less illiteracy. I think the same will be true with technology. Once it is avaliable to all, you will have less technologically illiterate people.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
Those numbers are moving very fast. I just tend to think they may be a little exaggerated. If not, it proves, as a teacher, I will have to be constantly learning new technology and adapting it to my teaching. Even as early as 2nd grade (the grade I would like to teach) students will have access to this technology. I will have to keep children engaged and that will only be done through the technology they are familiar with.

4 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that teachers need to be learners. As teachers how can we expect our students to learn if we do not learn. I also like your definition for being technologically literate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a strong believer that teachers do not have the ability to just sit back and relax. We have to continue to learn or we will not be qualified teachers for our students. I do want to say that I did not think about the point of not everybody having access to this technology. I guess me growing up with it; I just did not think of people not having the technology. I agree with you saying that once everybody has the access people will become more literate with technology. I also mention in my blog that, I do believe that teachers need to learn the technology before trying to use it to teach students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see - 20 years ago. I came to South in 1988, 22 years ago. We had computers, hard drives, and floppy disks. In the last 20 years here are a few of the things that have been added:
    Audio on the computer
    Video on the computer
    CDs
    DVDs
    Hypertext
    The Internet
    Skype
    Twitter
    Vast increases in power
    Vast decreases in size
    Vast decreases in cost

    What next?

    " think we will begin to see a wider gap in teachers who are willing to learn and teachers who are not through test scores and overall effectiveness in the classroom. " I'm not so sure about the test scores part of this.

    "What is the definition of technologically illiterate? I think at this time, it depends on who you are around." That's a novel way of thinking about this question which I had never considered. Thanks!

    What do you think the level of literacy (in the old sense) is in Alabama. I'll turn to the Internet and provide you with an answer (couldn't have done this anywhere near so quickly 20 years ago). "The most recent study showed there are 12 states that have illiteracy rates higher than Alabama — which tied South Carolina with about a 15 percent illiteracy rate." Gadsden Times 1/12/09 37% in Bullock County. That's more than 1 out of every 3 people! What chance do they have economically? We can ask the same using the technological illiteracy rate!

    "I will have to keep children engaged and that will only be done through the technology they are familiar with." This is the key point that so many people miss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, being a teacher is a big responsibility and needs to be taking seriously. For our kids to be successful, we need teach them and provide them with the right kind of learning. Great points you make.

    ReplyDelete