Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 17 Homework

Did You Know? 3.0 by Karl Fisch
Wow!!! The world seems to be changing and growing at a faster pace than ever before. I was surprised to see that India has more honor students than America has students. I would like to know if that statement is based on percentages or a student to student ratio considering how much faster the population of India is growing versus America's population. I do hope the information about jobs is incorrect. I would hate to think that people are changing jobs every year to year and a half. I also find it hard to believe that 1 in 8 couples married last year (2007) met online. I am curious to know if that number is based on worldwide marriages or just marriages in the U.S. I do agree with Mr. Fisch that technology is growing and evolving at a rapid pace. I have seen how much technology has evolved over the last 20 years. This video definitely gives me something to think about as I move forward in this technology class and in my teaching career and, for that matter, in life.

Mr. Winkle Wakes by Matthew Needleman
Unfortunately, I think this video was on target. Mr. Winkle woke to find new technology in businesses and hospitals, but schools had not changed in the last 100 years. Our students do not have access to the same technology that is a requirement for many jobs. It is a sad commentary on the state of our education system in the United States. I think there are some cost effective ways to bring some of the new technology into the schools. Most students have cell phones and instead of banning them from campuses, they could be used as a learning tool. For example, I think students could use their cell phone and text answers for a test to their teachers. Not only would this save paper(a huge expense), but keep students more engaged in the classroom.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
I found this video fascinating and insightful. I completely agree with Sir Ken Robinson and his viewpoint on the relationship between creativity and academic education. I think that when the creativity is taken out of the education experience, you tend to lose students individuality and they become more robotic in their learning. I think part of the problem is that teachers have had their creativeness taken away by strict education standards and the time frame in which these standards have to be taught and tested. There is no time to 'stop and smell the roses'. I also agree with the notion that we tend to medicate our children instead of finding alternative outlets for their energy. I think there are better ways to keep them focused and involved in the learning process without medication. Some children will need the medicine, but I think it should be the exception and not the rule.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
I really enjoyed watching Vicki Davis and how she took her class out of the classroom with leaving the building. There is so much information available to our students if we just have the means of getting it to them. I also like and respect the fact that she was open to learning from her students. I know as a mom, I am learning something new from my own children all the time. I think it is important for students to understand that what they have to say can be valuable and can even teach the teacher.

2 comments:

  1. On line romance. I would guess the US.

    Yes - as learning tools. But I think there are many more creative ways they can be used other than test taking machines.

    I don't want to get started on medicating students. I might get ugly!

    Well, I can promise Quatar, England, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand for starters in EDM310.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not saying that could be the only use, but with the lack of funds available to purchase new technology for the classroom, let's use what is already available (I would think most high school students have cell phones). Let's not ban cell phones from the classroom, but incorporate them into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete